What should you expect from this release (0.2.8 - first public release):
- A sandbox/free battle game mode
- 8 maps
- 2 factions: Mutants and Robots
- Difference between the two factions:
- Price and abilities:
- Mutants can HEAL themselves, Robots can Self-Destruct + tier 5 units can boost allies damage
- 8 Commanders (4 mutants, 4 robots):
- Each with different stats that affect unit performance and/or income
- 10 units (5 for each faction)
- Player vs Player (Local) or Player/AI vs AI battles
- A level editor:
- Load, create, edit and save maps.
- place map tiles (ground/mountains/forest/water)
- place buildings and units (neutral, player1, player2 - Houses and Factories)
- Test the map from the editor
- Play the game on Windows, Linux, Mac and Android.
- Access to the game source code for non-commercial use. You can tweak it, mod it (add/remove content) and/or build it to run on other platforms of your choice
What we plan on adding to the game:
- Commanders as playable units on the battlefield (think heroes in games such as Warcraft 3).
- Campaign/Story Mode
- Online Multiplayer
- PC to PC
- Mobile to Mobile
- Mobile to PC is something we cannot promise at this point
- More units and abilities.
What is not working in this current build, what bugs you can expect:
- Framerate/sluggish gameplay on older android devices.
- UI Scaling issues (such as blurring or text spilling out - mostly on some older, small-screened, mobile devices)
- Texture tearing when scrolling the map
- Commanders might be unballanced, with some being totally overpowered against others. Your feedback can help us improve the game allot in this aspect.
- Scoring isn't implemented yet.
Do you plan on tinkering with the game's sourcode? Want to mod(ify) the game? Here's what you can expect to run into:
- Buy menu: The way we handle unit creation is a bit iffy. There are 3 LUA TABLES full of messy things. You must include new unit sprites and info in that table (found in unit_types.lua),and then add a separate entry under /ui/buy_menu.lua. Now that the game has been released, the first thing we plan on doing is cleaning up the source code and get rid of the messy stuffs.
- There are ~7 AI scripts under /game/units/ai. Note that only julliete.lua works and can be used. The other ones are old AI's are kept in there to showcase where it all started and how the AI evolved. AI is called once as julliete:init( ) in unit.lua, and then as julliete:think() in the unit update routine.
Streaming and monetization
You're free to monetize your own videos that play, reference, or review the game. If the video isn't about or doesn't reference "Mutant Gangland", you are not permitted to use any of the assets/media present in the game.
License for using the game's source code
Copyright (C) 2014 Bacioiu "Zapa" Ciprian (firstname.lastname@example.org). All rights reserved.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
NOTE: The art assets and sound files
The above license doesn't cover any other media present in the game. The art assets/sprites are the sole property of Thomas Noppers while the sound files are owned by Malgorzata Zarczynska. In order to use their media you need to receive permission from them
NOTE: other libraries and frameworks used in the game and their licenses
Mutant Gangland uses the following library and/or frameworks:
Please, send us a email with any questions you might have and we will do our best to aid you. Questions, feedback, support: info [at] mutantgangland [dot] com. Feel free to post feedback, oppinions and suggestions on the /r/MutantGangland subreddit.